Introduction to Male Hair Loss
Losing hair is difficult and can lead to many social and emotional issues. We all lose some hair every day and losing 60-100 strands in a day is considered to be normal. However, when the number of strands increases above this limit and the scalp starts to become visible, then this may be a sign of severe hair loss
What Are the Conditions in Which a Hair Transplant Can Be Done in Men?Hair transplant in men can be done
- In Advanced Cases of Androgenetic Alopecia which does not improve with medication.
- In Scarring Alopecia when it has been stable for a minimum of twelve months.
- In Hair Loss due to trauma, surgery or burn.
- In cases of Traction Alopecia.
- In cases of Restoration of Eyelashes and Eyebrows.
Before confirming the hair transplantation procedure, the candidacy of the person for the procedure is evaluated. It depends on the grade of baldness, the extent and quality of the donor area, the thickness and density of the hair in the recipient area and the results of the hair analysis test. These factors also decide the type of hair transplantation procedure that is most suited for the candidate.
Why Hair Transplant Is Done in Males?Hair transplant in men helps
- Regain lost confidence and self-esteem.
- Get natural-looking and dense hair.
- Get permanent hair.
- Accomplish the cut and style of the hair as per their desire.
What Are the Different Techniques Used for Male Hair Transplantation?
With the advent of FUE (Follicular Unit Excision), many surgeons and patients were inclined toward it. This was partly due to the absence of a linear scar in the donor area which enabled patients to have buzzed or short hair at the back making it more aesthetically pleasing.
After carefully studying and analyzing FUT (Follicular Unit Transplantation) and understanding its pros and cons, our doctors at Eugenix Hair Sciences ventured into FUE. Through the years while working on routine FUE, our expert doctors made a few modifications to it for their practice and published a paper titled, “Direct Hair Transplantation: a modified follicular unit extraction technique” for the first time in the year 2013 April, in the Journal of Cutaneous and Aesthetics surgery. With DHT, the main difference is that it significantly reduces the ‘out of the body’ time of the grafts and in turn ensures better survivability and growth.
This Direct Hair Transplantation technique comprises two steps-
- Pre-made sites – Creation of recipient sites in correspondence to the right angle, direction, depth and optimal density.
- Simultaneous scoring, extraction and implantation : Scoring of grafts is done by a motorized punch and the extracted grafts are loaded into SAVA implanters (blunt needle implanters). These loaded implanters are then unloaded into the pre-made sites simultaneously..
In the year 2019, they published another research paper: “Use of Implanters in PremadeSsites for Hair Transplantation,” which stressed the use of implanters
Key Points of Direct Hair Transplantation :
- Decreased ‘out of the body’ time for grafts for better survivability.
- Use of implanters for minimal graft handling
In the year 2019 they published a book titled, Step by Step Hair Transplantation, which included a chapter on the practice of the DHT technique at Eugenix.
Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE)
This technique was previously termed Follicular Unit Extraction and was made available in 2002 by Dr. Bernstein and Dr. Rassman.
This technique involves the extraction of individual follicular units (FU) or follicles from the donor area and implantation in the recipient area. It established the use of a small, circular punch which aided in the incision of the skin and separation of surrounding tissue from the graft. This technique gained popularity in the following years after facing initial criticism like any other.
In the year 2018, the term ‘extraction’ was replaced by ‘excision’ in an attempt to emphasize the minimally yet invasive nature of the procedure and to avoid misleading patients.Steps of FUE:
- Extraction of the required follicular units or follicles from the donor area and placement in a holding solution.
- Implantation of the grafts in the recipient area with the help of implanters or forceps.
- Avoidance of linear scar
- Faster healing time
- The technique of choice in decreased scalp laxity
Why You Should Choose Eugenix for Your Male Hair Transplant?Eugenix is the best clinic for men's hair transplantation because:
- It is led by a team of doctors, who are alumni of AIIMS, New Delhi (one of the most prestigious medical institutes in Asia).
- There are over 28 years of combined experience in hair transplant with our physicians.
- Utilization of the latest world-class hair transplant techniques. In addition to FUE, our surgeons also use the Direct Hair Transplant (DHT) technique that is an effective modification to FUE.
- Highly qualified and courteous team.
- The best preoperative and postoperative treatments.